Sunday 10 April 2016

#MIYmarch16 thoughts

I took part in Wendy's MIY March challenge this year on Instagram for the first time. This was also the first month-long challenge that I undertook and I really enjoyed it. I found lots of new people to follow and received some lovely comments on my photos.

 

It did flag up some points that I need to address though:

 

1 - Take better pictures!

My photo taking skills are shockingly poor. I didn't really notice until I looked through some profiles of other sewing bloggers and realised that their photos are much much better. My main issue is lighting, I struggle to get enough natural light on the subject/me to take a bright photo. I should really take photos outside, but that's tricky with a 9 month old and a messy garden.

 

2 - Engage with other people more!

Whilst I received some lovely comments on some of my photos, I wasn't very good at returning the compliments. It doesn't even take very long and it's so lovely to hear when other people like your makes. I have found the sewing community online to be so helpful and friendly. Definitely need to try harder with this.

 

3 - Be more creative!

There were some great takes on some of the themes, really witty and interesting. Also, lots of the photos were interestingly composed and stylish. I got lots of inspiration throughout the month on how I can be more creative with thinking, making and documenting.

 

Emma from @dressmakerssocial is organising #dressmakers52 which is now one week in. The idea is that a different theme is posted each week for a year. This is such a good idea, as I sometimes struggled to get a picture done during #MIYmarch16 if I was having a difficult day. I'm going to try to apply the points above to how I join in with #dressmakers52 and hopefully I will see an improvement in my photos over the course of the year!

 

Saying that, my first picture of #dressmakers52 is another terrible one! The next one will be better...

If you have any tips for how to photograph better inside please do share! I really struggle to do flat garment photos too, they always look so amateurish!

Are you joining in with #dressmakers52? What do you think to it running for a whole year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment